Friday, September 24, 2010

Comfort vs New Frontiers

The group I joined at my PhD schools is incredibly large for an engineering research group. The topics are also pretty spread out. It's all under the banner of ... hmm I suppose I need to pick an alias for my research. How about cars. So there are many many subfields we look at spread over quite a few people and professional support staff. The area I've focused in so far through my masters(at a different university) could be useful to this lab. On the other hand I have the opportunity to branch out and do something different. If I choose this route it's likely to lengthen the time until my first publication in this lab however. So do I go with something that will give me another skillset, but likely result in fewer publications, or a longer time to graduate, or do I stay with what I'm good at, but applied to this group's area?
What's the tradeoff between learning new skills(in a fairly different field, although somewhat related still) compared to getting publications. Does having a wide variety of publication topics look good enough to warrant this?

No comments:

Post a Comment