Friday, July 30, 2010

Huzzah, it begins!

Hi,
 I'm starting my Ph.D. studies in electrical engineering and a blog seems like a great way to get into the habit of writing frequently as well as helping to develop a better writing style. This will most likely be a combination of my gripes about graduate school and the ordeals I face, as well as hopefully a little bit of technical coverage of whatever area is interesting me at the moment. I suppose we'll have to see how it goes. Now I just have to figure out how to get someone to read this so I'm not just writing to myself!

On the off chance that someone ever reads this post, anyone know some good twitter feeds to follow. Currently the only ones on my list are @doc_becca and @IEEESpectrum. Some other nice Prof/Grad student twitter with interesting content would make a nice addition to my list.

As I write this I am sitting at the library here. I've had to take over a spot in the library as the background check here hasn't gone through yet meaning I don't have access to my graduate office, as well as not getting paid. Finding out I wasn't working until 3 months later than I planned was quite a shock, but I guess I am at the mercy of my PI and school on that one. I wonder how common it is that start dates slide around? In anycase the library has the coolest little study booths. They are well lit for the most part, 3 power plugs each on the ones along the wall, as well as windows down here. Studying with so many books around me is stimulating also. It's impossible not to feel motivated when surrounded by so much knowledge, although at times it can make you feel a little inadequate as well. The Juice bar on the first floor is kinda nifty also.

What cool features does your library have?

No comments:

Post a Comment